Joseph August Hill
I am a natural resources scientist with professional experience in data-driven policy analysis; and I have a solid educational foundation on the principles of environmental sustainability.
Areas of Expertise
- Environmental Education
- Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Public Speaking & Engagement
- Sustainability Data Analytics
- Apple, Google and Microsoft Office Suites
- Customer Service
- Project Management
- Field Research & Reporting
Education & Professional Development
Northern Arizona University
FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA – HOME OF THE LUMBERJACKS
Bachelor of Science Degree, Class of 2013
Major in Environmental Sciences with an Emphasis in Administration and Policy plus a Minor in Political Sciences
Incline High School
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA – HOME OF THE HIGHLANDERS
Advanced Diploma of Graduation with Honors, Class of 2009
- WATER USE EFFICIENCY PRACTITIONER – GRADE 1
- AWARDED: MAY 24, 2019 FROM THE AMERICAN WATER WORKS ASSOCIATION (CA/NV)
- HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATIONS AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE – 24 HOUR COURSE
- AWARDED: APRIL 4, 2016 FROM THE INSTITUTE FOR SAFETY AND HEALTH MANAGEMENT
- 8 HOUR HAZWOPER REFRESHER COURSE COMPLETED ON MARCH 21ST, 2018
- LEAVE NO TRACE – OUTDOOR ETHICS TRAINER
- AWARDED: JUNE 10, 2016 FROM THE LEAVE NO TRACE CENTER FOR OUTDOOR ETHICS
- PROJECT WET (WATER EDUCATION FOR TEACHERS) – 6 HOUR WORKSHOP
- AWARDED: NOVEMBER 11, 2014 FROM THE WATER EDUCATION FOUNDATION
Active Memberships and Volunteerism
- AMERICAN WATER WORKS ASSOCIATION (CALIFORNIA/NEVADA SECTION)
- INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF SUSTAINABILITY PROFESSIONALS (ISSP)
- LEAVE NO TRACE CENTER FOR OUTDOOR ETHICS
- NORTH TAHOE ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION COALITION (NTEEC)
Incline Village General Improvement District (IVGID)
Public Works Department
Waste Not Community Conservation Program
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA
SEPTEMBER 2014 – PRESENT
Public Works Technician | July 2019 – Present
Waste Not Sustainability Intern | August 2015 – June 2019
- Continually researches and develops a sustainability framework to help guide local policies and initiatives while creating a benchmark of environmental performance data to gain recognition for those efforts.
- Determines data sources for accounting records, compliance statistics, recycling diversion rates, utility consumption and greenhouse gas emissions as reported by USEPA’s Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
- Creates spreadsheets from scratch to record, analyze and back-up data related to project tracking, sustainability performance metrics, water quality parameters and solid-waste violation summaries.
- Single-handedly produces and presents annual sustainability reports since 2016 for Public Works. The deductions visually compare standard industry performance metrics such as service statistics and wastewater flow against a variety of indicators related to environmental health, economic impacts and community alliance. The report includes an action list and outlines future projects plus overarching goals.
- Facilitated a 2-week sustainability performance benchmark assessment in 2015 at IVGID-owned Diamond Peak Ski Resort by the Sustainable Tourism Operator’s Kit for Evaluation (STOKE) against 153 criteria across 4 categories. The resort became ‘STOKE Certified’ in 2018 after a reassessment increased the compliance score from 60% to 78% which garnered recognition from magazines and awards from local dignitaries.
- Participates in conferences, workshops and symposium-style panels to network, discuss challenges related to sustainability ideas or water technology and provide background information on projects.
- Leads collection and organizes proper removal of household hazardous and electronic waste from nearly 2,000 annual customers, diverting at least 60 tons from the landfill a year while enforcing applicable laws.
- Acts as a technician for the Tahoe Water Suppliers Association; distributes water stations to public events, performs public outreach with the Drink Tahoe Tap!® campaign and completes activities in the field.
- Gathers outdoor water quality samples in all conditions with observational notes and quantitative readings before analyzing the information alongside data obtained from local weather monitoring stations.
- Works closely with other IVGID departments, local nonprofits, public and private schools as well as area colleges and universities to coordinate sustainability initiatives, internship projects and an array of lessons.
- Offers sustainability-themed tours of Diamond Peak Ski Resort and the Public Works Water Resource Recovery Facility in addition to presentations regarding job responsibilities for career day field trips.
- Recruits hundreds of volunteers to complete assigned tasks involving Tahoe-Truckee Snapshot Day, community cleanup days, zero-waste operations and conducts table-outreach to thousands of people at events including the Tahoe Summit, Earth Day(s), community-appreciation expos and evacuation drills.
- Coordinates education projects ranging from exhibits to festivals such as North Tahoe Family Science Day.
- Provides excellent customer service to all stakeholders in online messages, over the phone and in person regarding local policies, water conservation rebate requirements, sustainable living practices, wildlife protection, recycling guidelines as well as actions residents and visitors can do to Take Care™ of Lake Tahoe.
- Advises approximately 35 property owners a year regarding installation of metal garbage-can enclosures.
- Defuses public concerns related to the roll-out of a new community waste-franchise agreement.
- Occasionally covers and responds to community wide solid-waste spill reports.
AmeriCorps Member | September 2014 – August 2015
- Collaborated with 12 other team members to complete 3 community service projects related to Truckee River stewardship, local Halloween event support and outdoor classrooms at Incline Elementary School.
- Taught environmental lessons to 3,614 students, raised awareness for 4,634 adults on conservation issues while helping to process 23 tons of household hazardous waste and 35 tons of electronic waste.
- Additional responsibilities included almost all tasks associated with the positions listed above while building the IVGID sustainability program from the ground-up.
Clean Water Team Volunteer | 2003 – 2008
- Donated over 100 hours to the collection of scientific data and monitoring of the quality of fresh water streams along the north shore of Lake Tahoe in order to comply with regulatory requirements and assist with general insights into the health of the local ecosystem.
Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space
Bartley Ranch Regional Park and the Truckee River District Parks
MARCH – OCTOBER 2014
Seasonal Park Aide Ranger
- Routinely performed opening and closing procedures for historical, reservable and theatrical facilities while assisting public events and social support programs in addition to patrol duties across 1,000 acres of land.
- Greeted the public, enforced rules, conducted tours of park exhibits and relayed historical, cultural, environmental and regional information to patrons especially during busy weekends and holidays.
- Worked hands-on to perform native landscape re-vegetation and housekeeping duties to all park facilities.
North Lake Tahoe Financial Services, LLC
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA
AUGUST 2013 – NOVEMBER 2019
Information Technology Assistant
- Assisted with facility services such as faxes, scans, mailers, cleaning, standard building maintenance, wireless security system maintenance and computer technology consultation.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks, Pro-series and associated software installation.
- Social Media Webmaster for tahoefinancial.com, professional certification profiles, Facebook, LinkedIN, YouTube and a WordPress Blog (DELETED).
- Facilitated technological logistics of my father’s retirement from the local business he created and successfully managed for more than 15 years.
The City of Flagstaff
MARCH 2011 – APRIL 2013
Climbing Wall Site Supervisor | July 2011 – April 2013
Recreation Leader | March – June 2011
- Conducted opening and closing procedures in addition to customer service and cleaning responsibilities on a routine basis including holidays.
- Stationed on the “dry side” of the multi-purpose indoor aquatic facility; trained to fulfill the duties of the fitness floor, basketball gym, climbing wall and a babysitting area.
- Taught cycle-based exercise courses and assisted in numerous kids activity classes such as “Daycampers” and “Sporties for Shorties.”
- Responsible for employee conduct, incident write-ups, climbing wall waiver organization and rule enforcement.
- Promoted to Head of Employee Schedules based on excellence in supervisory position.
- GOLDEN PINECONE SUSTAINABILITY AWARD & COMMENDATION ON BEHALF OF DIAMOND PEAK SKI RESORT – GREENEVADA & SENATOR CATHERINE CORTEZ MASTO (D-NV) | 2019
- CERTIFICATE OF EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION – INCLINE VILLAGE GENERAL IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT | 2018, 2019
- AMERICORPS EDUCATION AWARD – PARASOL TAHOE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION | 2015
- “BIKE CHALLENGE SCHOLARSHIPS ALLOW TAHOE STUDENTS TO PURSUE ENVIRONMENTAL PASSIONS” – TAHOE IN DEPTH FEATURED ARTICLE, ISSUE #6, PAGE 7 | 2015
- BIKE CHALLENGE SCHOLARSHIP – TAHOE REGIONAL PLANNING AGENCY | 2009
- GOLDMAN TAHOE SCHOLARSHIP – TAHOE ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH CENTER, UC DAVIS | 2008
- SECOND DEGREE BLACK BELT – UNIVERSAL TAE KWON DO FEDERATION, RENO | 2007
- FIRST DEGREE BLACK BELT – UNIVERSAL TAE KWON DO FEDERATION, RENO | 2004