Joseph August Hill
I am a natural resources scientist who has professional experience in data-driven policy analysis; I also have a solid educational foundation on the principles of environmental sustainability.
Areas of Expertise
- Adaptation Management
- Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Public Speaking & Engagement
- Program Resiliency
- Statistical Data Analytics
- Adobe, Office & Web Design
- Customer Service
- Project Implementation
- Field Research & Reporting
Education & Professional Development
Northern Arizona University
FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA – HOME OF THE LUMBERJACKS
Bachelor of Science Degree, Class of 2013
Major in Environmental Sciences with an Emphasis in Administration and Policy
Minor in Political Sciences
Incline High School
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA – HOME OF THE HIGHLANDERS
Advanced Diploma of Graduation with Honors, Class of 2009
- Certified Sustainability Professional (CSP-ISSP)
- ANTICIPATED: Early 2021 from the International Society of Sustainability Professionals
- Sustainability Associate (SA-ISSP)
- ANTICIPATED: Late 2020 from the International Society of Sustainability Professionals
- Water Use Efficiency Practitioner – Grade 1
- AWARDED: May 24, 2019 From the American Water Works Association (AWWA – CA/NV)
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response – 24 Hour Course (HAZWOPER)
- AWARDED: April 4, 2016 From the Institute for Safety and Health Management
- 8 Hour HAZWOPER Refresher Course Completed on March 21ST, 2018
- Leave No Trace – Outdoor Ethics Trainer
- AWARDED: June 10, 2016 From the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- Project WET (Water Education Today) – 6 Hour Workshop
- AWARDED: November 11, 2014 From the Water Education Foundation
ACTIVE MEMBERSHIPS AND VOLUNTEERISM
- International Society of Sustainability Professionals (ISSP)
- American Water Works Association (AWWA – California/Nevada Section)
- Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- North Tahoe Environmental Education Coalition (NTEEC)
Incline Village General Improvement District (IVGID)
Public Works Department
Waste Not Community Conservation Program
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA
SEPTEMBER 2014 – PRESENT
Waste Not Sustainability Intern | August 2015 – June 2019
- Continually researches and develops a sustainability framework to help guide the District’s strategic initiatives while logging performance data to gain public recognition for accomplishments.
- Determines relevant tools and data sources for census information, accounting records, compliance statistics, recycling diversion rates, resource consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Single-handedly produces and presents annual sustainability reports since 2016 for Public Works. The summaries include updated action plans and deductions that visually compare industry metrics such as wastewater flows against indicators related to ecosystem health, financial impacts, and community alliance. An IVGID-wide sustainability report is currently under development.
- Facilitated a 2-week performance benchmark assessment in 2015 at IVGID-owned Diamond Peak Ski Resort by the Sustainable Tourism Outdoors Kit for Evaluation (STOKE) against 153 criteria across 4 categories. The resort became ‘STOKE-Certified’ in 2018 after a reassessment increased the compliance score from 60 to 78 percent which garnered recognition from magazines and accolades from local politicians. A recertification process will examine the team’s progress in Spring, 2021.
- Promotes agency involvement in conferences, forums and committees as a valuable contribution that has helped to secure grant funding from the EPA for our team to study the impacts of microplastics.
- Serves as a liaison between the local business community and the Nevada Green Business Certification Program.
- Partners with University students to assist mutually beneficial project completion such as installation of a piezometer to analyze ground water and feasibility research of electric snowcats.
- Manages the COVID-reopening of the community hazardous and electronic waste program to accommodate safety, social distancing, and a new appointment system.
- Offers sustainability-themed tours that include environmental facts and cultural heritage anecdotes of Diamond Peak Ski Resort, Incline Village Parks in addition to the Wastewater Treatment Facility.
- Recruits hundreds of volunteers to complete assigned tasks for Tahoe-Truckee Snapshot Day, community cleanup days and participates in non-profit programs such as the Tahoe Blue Crew.
- Coordinates interactive exhibits for display while representing multiple agency objectives to thousands of people at festivals including the Tahoe Summit, Earth Day(s), and community expos.
- Provides sound advice to all stakeholders regarding local policies, rebate requirements, sustainable living practices, recycling guidelines and actions people can do to Take Care™ of Lake Tahoe.
- Acts as a technician for the Tahoe Water Suppliers Association by distributing water-supply stations to public events along with outreach items associated with the Drink Tahoe Tap!® campaign.
- Gathers outdoor water quality samples with observational notes and quantitative readings before analyzing the information alongside data obtained from local weather monitoring stations.
- Leads collection of hazardous and electronic waste from nearly 2,000 annual customers, diverting at least 50 tons from the landfill each year while ensuring compliance with applicable laws.
- Responds to community solid-waste violation reports and enforces appropriate action(s).
- Defuses public concerns due to results of agency actions and alterations of public services.
- Collaborated with 12 other team members to complete 3 community service projects related to Truckee River stewardship, local Halloween event support and outdoor classrooms at Incline Elementary School.
- Taught environmental lessons to 3,614 students, raised awareness for 4,634 adults on conservation issues while helping to process 23 tons of household hazardous waste and 35 tons of electronic waste.
- Additional responsibilities included almost all tasks associated with the positions listed above while building the IVGID sustainability program from the ground-up.
Clean Water Team Volunteer | 2003 – 2008
- Donated over 100 hours to the collection of scientific data and monitoring of the quality of fresh water streams along the north shore of Lake Tahoe in order to comply with regulatory requirements and assist with general insights into the health of the local ecosystem.
Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space
Bartley Ranch Regional Park and the Truckee River District Parks
MARCH – OCTOBER 2014
- Routinely performed opening and closing procedures for historical, reservation-only pavilions and theatrical facilities while assisting public events and social support programs in addition to patrol duties across 1,000 acres of land.
- Greeted the public, enforced rules, conducted tours of park exhibits and relayed historical, cultural, environmental and regional information to patrons especially during busy weekends and holidays.
- Worked hands-on to perform native landscape re-vegetation and housekeeping duties to all park facilities.
- Facilitated a wildlife interpretive program at the Washoe County Library in Incline Village, NV.
North Lake Tahoe Financial Services, LLC
INCLINE VILLAGE, NEVADA
September 2013 – NOVEMBER 2019
Information Technology Assistant
- Assisted with facility services such as faxes, scans, mailers, cleaning, standard building maintenance, wireless security system maintenance and computer technology consultation.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks, Pro-series and associated software installation.
- Social Media Webmaster for tahoefinancial.com, professional certification profiles, Facebook, LinkedIN, YouTube and a WordPress Blog (DELETED).
- Facilitated technological logistics of my father’s retirement from the local business he created and successfully managed for more than 15 years.
The Sierra Club
Grand Canyon Chapter, the Plateau Group
May – August 2013
- Assisted planning and coordination for community and public educational events.
- Conducted field research concerning Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) use near potential Wilderness areas and as OHV use pertained to the fall hunting season in similar forest land.
- Participated in City Hall meetings and additional public forums to communicate important local environmental issues such as Uranium mining dangers to Arizonan constituents.
Operated by the City of Flagstaff
MARCH 2011 – APRIL 2013
Climbing Wall Site Supervisor | July 2011 – April 2013
Recreation Leader | March – June 2011
- Conducted opening and closing procedures in addition to customer service and cleaning responsibilities on a routine basis including holidays.
- Stationed on the “dry side” of the multi-purpose indoor aquatic facility; trained to fulfill the duties of the fitness floor, basketball gym, climbing wall and a babysitting area.
- Taught cycle-based exercise courses and assisted in numerous kids activity classes such as “Daycampers” and “Sporties for Shorties.”
- Responsible for employee conduct, incident write-ups, climbing wall waiver organization and rule enforcement.
- Promoted to Head of Employee Schedules based on excellence in supervisory position.
- Golden Pinecone Sustainability Award & Commendation on behalf of Diamond Peak Ski Resort – Presented by GREENevada & Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV) | 2019
- Employee Recognition – Incline Village General Improvement District | 2018, 2019
- AmeriCorps Education Award – Parasol Tahoe Community Foundation | 2015
- “Bike Challenge Scholarships Allow Tahoe Student to Pursue Environmental Passions” – Tahoe In Depth Featured Article, Issue #6, Page 7 | 2015
- Bike Challenge Scholarship – Tahoe Regional Planning Agency | 2009
- Goldman Tahoe Scholarship – Tahoe Environmental Research Center, UC Davis | 2008
- Second Degree Black Belt – Universal Tae Kwon Do Federation, Reno | 2007
- First Degree Black Belt – Universal Tae Kwon Do Federation, Reno | 2004